Thursday, May 16, 2013

Scrap to Wonderful

All around the workshop are piles of wood.  I can't bring myself to throw any of it away.

I mean, I'm in the business of re-using things...bringing the reclaimed wood out and doing something with it!


I've gotten busy with all the sign making for the past couple, well, years.  I've been working with clients, coming up with new designs, and carving into pieces of wood, phrases I really like.

I received a request to make a few more of my reclaimed wood "pieces" crosses.  

I had a maxed week ahead of me, and they needed to get done on this particular week, to get to my client in time for a Confirmation.  I went back and forth on whether or not to do it.  

My heart said, "yes, of course!" but my head said, "No way, dude!  You don't have time!  Look at this list of signs!  I mean, come on!  It's just not possible!  It's too much stress!"

At night, when I brought it up with my husband, he said, "We'll get it done."

Which makes me laugh, in part, because "we'll" is me.  Like, when I say, "we put the sandbox together" and it was all him?  Ya.  Same thing.

Except, that I suppose, the "we" part triggers in on the other party manning the baby.  So, that counts.

I only had to make three for this client, because I had two in the shop already.  

Then, overnight, before she could buy it, one of the crosses sold!  Now, I had to make four.

I was in the "I can do it" mode, but I have to admit, I was still a little like.....what the heck?  Why now, when I'm so busy?

I got to them right away, laying out the wood, and marking all the lines.  I'd lose track of time, while cutting, sanding, and putting them together.  

I'd go out late at night, after the baby was asleep and all the chores of the day were done, and work on them some more.

Then, I'd work on them first thing in the morning.  I'd completely forget about any other little thing that needed to be done.  

You know that part of work where it becomes blissful?  It was that.

I ended up making 6 crosses that week.  And, now I have 3 more on my workbench.


I had forgotten how much I like this sort of "assembly" type work, and making something wonderful come out of a pile of scrap wood.


I had sent her pictures before shipping them off.  I told her the striped wood is actually left-over from a guitar my husband is building with a friend.  My client said it was perfect because one of her students plays the mandolin and was thinking of making one over the Summer.

Sometimes being pushed to do something I don't quite think I have time for, is exactly when I remember why I enjoy my job as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment